Saturday 10 August 2019

Reactor Progress 5/N

Lighting Options.

As part of the zinge order I also bought some pink and orange LEDs to add some options to what I had already (blue, red, purple, green).

I'm quite keenly aware that I have a tendency to fall back to blue/red contrasting schemes in almost everything I've painted in the last few years, and since the success of the large scale OSL in the airlock piece, I know I definitely want this reactor piece to be another huge OSL colour splash in the sea of grey/black pieces and I want it to be anything but blue/red.

This piece also connects to the canal piece which has a turquoise-green "acid" canal - kinda like Doom - and lots of orange-brown rust walls. The connection is to the exterior so the interior doesn't have to retain the industrial rust look (and indeed I kind of want to completely wash out all the "real" colour with the OSL colour to imply the brightness of the reactor. The "acid" does run through though, so that turquoise-green will carry through.

First effort using individual pink LED.

violet LED

Problem #1 is it's barely any light and I'd need a whole slew of these to really show up, nice colour though. I hate soldering and my electronics isn't up to working out how to do these in I bought flickering LEDs which do look cool though. I do have some ready-made LED strigns in my bag of electrics though:

blue LED

Blue...

green LED

...and Green. (with a pink LED being drowned out).

I mean that's very yes right? Not entirely sure how well this will pan out with the lights under and aroudn the resin layer, but we shall see!

Also, I found this (Final Fantasy VII apparently?) reference image in my collection. Seems like the right direction.

reactor reference pic

Serendipity, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment