Monday 20 January 2020

Early days in the dungeon

A brief update, for at an early stage there is much to do and little to show.

first three sections underway another perspective

So what we have here is a couple of drawers from Ikea's Moppe storage (I bought three sets), something I'd seen done before, wonderfully, as an Egyptian tomb by Shed Wars (check it out here, and here).

As was pointed out in the original they are a bit too deep for 28 minis - simply in terms of chunky gamer hands alone - and a raised floor of course creates the possibility of sinking it. I'm thinking chasms, waterways, snake pits, who knows... So these are all infilled with a layer of 25mm styrofoam, which will be further elevated about 5mm to render a standard room height of 60mm.

In the five years since Shed Wars did it home 3d printers have arrived (ah, ha, that's where that comes in) which I'm using to satisfy what I see as an awkwardness with modular scenery - simply placing the pieces adjacent to each other just doesn't work on the gaming table. Magnets simply don't have the strength, jigsaw'ing a-la glorious 90's cardboard isn't really achievable in 3d. For the shulk, I relied on a combination of simple weight and some felt basing to create enough friction. I might still use the felt here (I do have a giant roll of it) but I also wanted to make some kinda "H" shaped connectors that could be made into doors, a bit like how Warhammer Quest made connections between the pieces.

So I spent some time on sketchup (which tbh kinda sucks unless you pay for the pro version, and even then I have doubts), and then I printed myself a dozen (so far).

connectors

I definitely need to be make some more variants but these are working so far, we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment